Irish Adults Spend €6.6million a Day Online on Clothing and Household Goods
July 23, 2015 News
Parcel Motel have released research detailing the online spending habits of Irish men and women.
A survey of over 6,000 Parcel Motel shoppers has revealed that over €2.4billion* is spent a year online by Irish men and women on goods being delivered to their home, workplace or Parcel Motel. More than one third of participants expect their online spend will increase next year and beyond.
Onine shopping is booming in Ireland, with people making more transactions and spending bigger amounts than ever before. We estimate that the annual value of online purchases processed by Parcel Motel now exceeds €206 million. John Tuohy, CEO Nightline.
This research has discovered a range of different eCommerce spending trends in Ireland, with consumers citing convenience and cheaper prices as the main reasons they shop online. Parcel Motel allows consumers to have their goods delivered to a location that is convenient for them to collect at any time through a nationwide network of self-service parcel terminals.
Consumer electronics were found to be the most popular products bought online by Irish people, with over €420 million being spent yearly. The research also showed that this spending is driven by men, who spend five times as much on consumer electronics as women.
According to the research, the top three products men and women will purchase online are:
Other findings include:
- Men and women spend a very similar amount online per year on jewellery – with over €56 million being spent overall.
- 35 – 44 year olds account for the highest spending on toys online, accounting for €35.8 million worth of sales. Surprisingly, however, the research would indicate that grandparents have continued to buy toys for their grandchildren in retail outlets instead of online.
- Men are spending nearly three times as much as women on adult toys a year, whereas women spend nearly three times as much on lingerie.
- Gaming is still primarily popular among young adults, as the research indicates that spending on video games declines as people get older. Young adults in Ireland (18-24 year old age group) spend €12 million online on games consoles, but this figure drops to €5.8 million for 25-29 year olds.
- The ‘Yuppies’ (30 to 34 year olds) and ‘Silver Surfers’ (35 to 44 year olds) spend the most online, with an average yearly spend of €761 (35-44 year olds) and €753.34 (30-34 year olds).
- We see spend on products such as household items double and continue to grow with the age of the spenders. Young adults spend more than doubles from €5 million to €11.9 million as they move on to the next stage in their lives (25-29 year old age group).
*The key findings are taken from a study which was conducted by SpongeIt Reseach on behalf of Parcel Motel. 6,135 Parcel Motel users based in Ireland took part in the research via an online questionnaire.
If you would like to find out more about this research or how we can increase your online sales, please contact our Business Development Team.